Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Chances are ...

It's been over a month since the last time I wrote anything. I just got tied up doing some other things including updating my other blogs :)

One of the things that I lately found myself wondering about is whether the presence of uncertainty in certain phenomenon are cause for belief in divinity. Let me give an example. In high school physics we learn things like "A body moves when an external unbalanced force is applied to it ....". When we get deeper into science and reach quantum physics, we're then faced with the famous uncertainty principle. Take the example of biology and medicine. Certain things cause certain diseases but not in everyone. Even in day to day life, we do all that is in our control but yet the result is not the one expected. There is always this gap between cause and effect and all we can do is to explain it with the concept of chance (which sounds like a lame invention for things we can't explain in the first place!). Wonder if there is more to it ....

1 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger Arun Kumar said...

Is chance a tool which helps in dealing with uncertainty or is it a lame excuse??.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home