Monday, April 18, 2005

I'm accented. But are you?

Does anyone find it annoying when someone tells you that you have an accent? Isn't that implying that he or she considers himself or herself to be devoid of any accent? That doesn't make any sense, does it now? My claim is that everybody has an accent - there is no such thing as unaccented language. Only the people of regional majority "think" they have "no accent".

I have an accent - sure. I speak English the way I was taught. The Indian/British way with pronunciations more Indian and diction more British. Over the last decade, of course, both aspects are meandering towards American - or the so-called "unaccented" English. But that is besides the point. When I spent a few months in England, of course, their notion of "unaccented" English was far different. In fact, I remember in India the notion of unaccented English is also vastly different.

The next time someone comments on you or you comment on someone about their accent, do know that in the end, like Einstein said, it's all relative .....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home